As vividly portrayed in The Wide, Wide World, the role of parents in the nineteenth century was vital to the development of a well behaved child. Parent’s expectations for their young ones were much higher than they are today. Their goals were to create conducive little members of society while at the same time offering love and protection. Typically, the mother was the caretaker and ultimate teacher of life lessons and affection, which created close bonds between mother and child. Father’s were only expected to provide food, shelter, clothing, and protection for the family.
Mrs. Montgomery, Ellen’s mother was extremely close with her daughter. Offering bountiful love and guidance, she was Ellen’s role model; as Ellen proudly states in the text, “And I always feel safe when you are near me, because I know you’ll take care of me.” (Page 30.) Although she was very ill and could not physically take care of her like a mother should, she taught Ellen how to be self sufficient and independent. In fact, Ellen gladly accepts every opportunity throughout the story, to care for and nurture her dying mother. For instance, preparing her mother’s toast and tea is the highlight of her day. Ellen seems to have adjusted well to growing up at a young age, until she discovers her mother has to leave the country, without her. This news brings frequent emotional break downs for “poor little Ellen.” It’s seems almost too much for Mrs. Montgomery and Ellen to bare being apart, just discussing the matter sends them both into hysteria. In a description of their last embrace it reads, “She burst into uncontrollable weeping: it seemed as if she would pour out her very heart in tears; and she clung to her mother with a force that made it a difficult task for her father to remove her.” (Page 77.) Mr. Montgomery, however, uncompassionate and bitter, cares little about his wife and daughter’s emotions and sticks strictly to what’s “best” in his opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Britney! I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the comment you made about Mr. Montgomery being bitter and uncompassionate. If he felt that way I don't think he would have tried to get a job so the family could have money again or so his wife could get better. I also think that he knew it would be in Ellen's best interest not to watch her mother die. I know if my mom were dying she would want me sticking around if there was nothing I could do for her. That's just my opinion. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI agree that Ellen feels much closer to her mother rather than her father and that in turn has led Ellen to grow up quicker than she normally would have if her mother hadn't been ill. But I also think that will end up hurting her in the future. She won't know how to be a child, but will perpetually be stuck as an adult. While I do believe that this is ultimately the goal of all parents (their children grow up to be good little self-sufficient adults) I think that making her grow up so quickly will affect her later on in life, and not for the better.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with what Sus in the fact that Captain Montgomery does show compassionate. It talks about how he is despising the fact that he has to go in there and ruin her life by telling her it is time to leave and leave her mother to die. I could see how that could be quickly overlooked because it is only a brief coupe of sentences that explain how he really feels. He then immediately sucks it up and goes in there and acts like it is not a big deal. I think back then men just felt that they had to be the head of the household and show no compassion towards his family that could show some sign of weakness.
ReplyDelete