In Perkins Gilman's creepy short story, The Yellow Wallpaper, many issues are addressed through the behavior of the main character. The story is about a young woman who has just given birth and is experiencing post partum stress disorder. Her husband being a doctor, has demanded that she stay locked up in this peculiar room with yellow wallpaper to get well. The actions that prevail this decision can be interpreted in many different ways. First, the wall bothers the narrator, then she starts to notice odd patterns, and near the end the wall comes alive to her. The author could be using the strange behavior to point out the mistreatment of women during this time, as we've seen in other nineteenth century texts. For instance, on page 363 the narrator says, " I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once." She can't even walk around the room when John is there without him judging her. The fact that she is locked away in this room 24/7 is definitely the reason for her delirium. If her husband would allow her to be around people or get back in the swing of things by living her life, maybe she wouldn't go so crazy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

First off, it made me smile when I read that you called it a "creepy" story, that's definitely true. I also agree that our narrator was delirious thanks in most part to her husband having her be locked in their bedroom all day and night!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you! The reason that she feels the way she does is from being locked up all the time. I'm pretty sure I would feel the same way if I was in a room by myself most of the time. You made some great observations!
ReplyDeleteIf I was locked up all the time and thought the wallpaper was trapping a woman inside...I would be going crazy too! I liked that you called this story creepy! After reading this story I got this sort of eerie sense that the whole story wasn't revealed to us. Nice blog!
ReplyDeleteI really liked the ideas you had about this reading. I too think the story was pretty creepy, as well as agree with the idea of how her treatment made her illness more severe than it should have been. This story definitely brings up issues of woments rights as well as treatment of diseases such as postpartum depression. Good blog!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete